2 Quick Insights..."Luxury" is dead and the new Academia

I was at an Innovation conference 2 weeks ago and amongst the many insights that I was able to capture, a few were fairly obvious and a few not so obvious.
One that seems over the top obvious is that the term "luxury" (and the whole in your face "treat yourself because you are special") marketing mantras (are you listening Lexus and Range Rover?) are dead. Yes, dead.
News Flash: It is really no longer cool to drive a big SVU and own a big house. It is really not cool to be narcistic and market to these incstincts. We have entered a new era (not fast enough, really) of wholesomeness, empathy, respect, truth, trust, firmness. For a lesson on a company that has captured this new ethos, look at what Hyundai is doing. They certainly got the message and are acting on it.
In any case, I hope I am right. Now we need for this to "scale" to the rest of spoiled humanity.
The second not so obvious is that we - the people - are the greatness impediment to progress and new Innovations. On the one side because we are scared of technology (witness the Stem cell research debate) on the other because we have chosen to adopt innovations without really understanding the consequences. So we are squeezed in between these two extremes resulting in paralysis and/or giddiness.
OK, one last one...
My audience may not think this is a new insight, but it was to me....hoooold it...here it comes:
Academia no longer has the monopoly over education and - more importantly - knowledge transfer. Think of the possibilities!
I was told this by a brilliant academician and I personally have found this out from trying to work with academics. Now I know why; in many ways - at least as it concerns Innovation management theories and lessons - I am competing with them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The life giving power if Insights…

An Open Plead for True Leadership

Passion Economy?