Soft vs Hard Skills

I get a kick out of people talking about hard vs. soft skills and the preeminence of the former over the latter.
In a World of evolving globalization and all the derivations therein such as Glocal; Global Village, Primitive Global, World Citizen, etc...the abilities to relate, build consensus, persuade across differing cultures and personal and business practices/nuances are more important than ever -the subject of multiple posts in this blog.
I would say now that the preeminence is flipping to soft vs hard. Why? From my vantage point technology (hard) is nothing without creativity (soft) and value building/generation skills (soft).

It reminds me of a conversation I had years ago with the Founder of a startup right after the tech bubble had exploded and I was looking for a gig. It was circa 2002 and I was trying to secure a business development consultancy. The conversation went something like this:
"I would love to use you right now but now I need to focus on hard skills" (My response was circumspect since I did not have the benefit of the insight that I am presenting right now.) At the end of the conversation and as I was ready to leave, the founder turned to me and asked:
"By the way, do you know such and such and do you think I could meet them?"
:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The life giving power if Insights…

An Open Plead for True Leadership

Passion Economy?